Project: Integrated public transport development project
Company: Municipality of Sofia (authority)
City: Sofia, BULGARIA
Timing: 01/2010 - 12/2013
Case study: The project consists of a number of components:
- Sofia Metro Extension: The Sofia Metro Extension Project Stage I and Stage II aim to connect the Central Railway Station and the International Bus Station with the central city part and through the metro with the big residential districts in the western and eastern direction (and by the future extension – with the Airport) as well as with the national road network and the European transport corridors in the city suburbs, where at the end stations are planned large buffer parking lots in order to be restricted the access of cars towards the city centre. The length of the metro from 18 km in year 2009 will increase with 13.1 km in year 2012.
- ITS (Intelligent Traffic Systems): It consists of ITS equipment (in 750 PT vehicles and traffic lights and civil works to enable buses, trolleybuses and trams to have priority at 20 signalized intersections).
- Public Transport Electronic Information Boards: This component is an extension of a pilot project implemented by the City recently and consists of supply and installation of 600 electronic information boards at PT stops giving the passengers real-time information (generated by the GPS fleet management system) about the time when the next vehicle will arrive at the stop.
- Public Transport Shelters: The City proposes to install 400 new public transport shelters at stops where these shelters either do not exist or are in very poor condition. Public transport shelter are an essential facility for public transport users, especially is Sofia’s harsh climate periods in winter and summer.
- Renewal of the trolleybus fleet: By purchasing 50 low-floor articulated trolleybuses the City will have renewed almost 90% of the necessary trolleybus fleet.
- New tram line (from Seminary to Darvenitza / Students’ city); total length – 4.6 km.
- Tram line modernization: This is modernization of a tram line, currently in very poor condition, along Bulgaria Boulevard, one of the busiest routes. Total length – 3.7 km.
The Metro extension component will be financed through the Operational Programme Transport as follows: Central part of Line 2 Financing from EFRD 185 mln EUR Financing from national budget 27,7 mln EUR Financing from Sofia city 61 mln EUR Extension of Line 1 and installation of equipment 94 mln EUR Loan from EIB up to 50% of the cost Local co-financing 25% city budget 25% state budget Extension of Line 2 and installation of equipment 133 mln EUR Loan from EIB up to 50% of the cost Local co-financing 25% city budget 25% state budget The rest of the components (ITS, new PT stop shelters, electronic information boards, new trolleybuses, new tram line and modernization of tram line) will be financed through the Operational Programme Regional Development as follows: Financing from EFRD 42,5 mln EUR Financing from national budget 7,5 mln EUR Financing from Sofia city (Loan from EBRD) 12 mln EUR.
PTx2 strategy: The shortened travel time after the commissioning of the new sections of the Sofia Metro will lead to time savings of the city’s citizens amounting to 13 420 man-hours/day worthing to 20 186 373 euros/year. After the completion of Stage I of the ongoing metro extension ІІ metro diameter, and after the realization of Stage II, the number of trips by metro from 156 thousand will reach 340 thousand trips/day, with about 38% share in the public transport system. The ITS, new trolleybuses, new tram line and tram line modernisation components will generate time savings through a combination or improved vehicle performance, more efficient traffic signals and improved routing including increased provision of traffic lanes dedicated to public transport. Energy savings will arise from the 15% more energy efficient trolleybuses to be purchased and the savings in public transport vehicle km arising from the reduction in bus km and more efficient routing of public transport vehicles.